The OKLNG project involves three separate sites that have been identified through meticulous studies that focussed upon the following optimal conditions:
- Beneficial soil conditions to support heavy equipment,
- Minimal site preparation costs,
- Minimal dredging through optimal offshore conditions,
- Close proximity to West Delta supply sources,
- Short distance to deep-water access for loading product to vessels,
- Good potential for access of construction and operational manpower,
- Close to major domestic gas markets/Support from the local communities,
- Minimal environmental and social impact.
From the above considerations, the following sites were identified:
- West Niger Delta (2001/02),
- Shell Greenfield (e.g. the entire Nigeria coastal area) (2004/05),
- BG/Chevron OKLNG (2004/05).